A clogged sewer line can cause major problems for your home. It usually requires professional sewer line cleaning or other plumbing services, so you might just want to call a plumber. But if you prefer to take some action on your own, there are a few things you can do.
Step one is to diagnose the problem. The sewer line is a large pipe under your home where all the waste and dirty water from your house goes, en route to your septic tank or local sewage system. When the line is blocked, it won’t just affect one fixture of your house. It will cause a number of problems throughout your house. Here are some examples:
- Toilets are often the first problem areas when a sewer line is blocked. They won’t flush properly, leading to multiple flushes and/or overflows. This can cause damage to your bathroom rug and floor. It can also cause unsanitary conditions. Always use gloves and disinfectant when handling a toilet overflow.
- Sinks drain slowly.
- Taking a shower leads to standing in a puddle, as the shower drain backs up.
- Drains and toilets make gurgling sounds.
If you’ve encountered these problems and determined you have a clogged sewer line, there’s not a lot you can do except call a plumber. But if a professional can’t come right away, you could try the following:
- Turn off the water to your home. This will reduce the potential damage that can occur when toilets overflow and sewage backs up into your tub.
- Some houses have a sewer line cleanout, which is a large removable cap on your sewer line. It can be found in your basement, crawlspace or outside your home. If you have one and can open it, you might be lucky enough to find the obstruction. Remember to wear gloves, and maybe goggles and protective clothing as well, as this is nasty stuff.
- A large plumbing auger might help you find and remove the clog if it’s out of reach, but the sewer line is too large for most consumer products to work. Plumbers have the right equipment for this job.
All Star Service and Repair provides high-quality plumbing services whenever you need them. Whether you wish to have a free sewer line camera inspection before buying a house or you need whole-house repiping due to frequent leaks or aging materials, we are here to help in Salt Lake City, UT. Our team comes prepared with industry-leading tools to get the job done right. Each of our technicians are licensed, insured, and have over 60 years of combined experience. We have never run into a job we can’t complete! All of our plumbing services come with a 100% satisfaction guarantee and a 10-year warranty. If there is ever a problem after we finish, trust us to make it right! You will receive a free estimate before we begin any work, and our technicians go over every facet of the job to make our services as transparent as possible.